Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do I get certified as a wildlife rehabilitator?

I would really like to do this because I love wildlife and I feel passionate about conservation. I am willing to devote alot of time to this but I know you have to have a certification. I have tried to google it but I haven't had luck finding out exactly how I can learn the skills and get certified. Anyone know?How do I get certified as a wildlife rehabilitator?
http://www.animalhelp.com/wildlife/wl_re鈥?/a>





There are some rehabers in MS that you can contact for info.





It varies a bit state by state, but overall, the procedure is the same.





First- you need to apprentice yourself under a master rehabber (a certified one) for at least 2 yrs. If they vouch for you, you can take the national test and get certified to open your own place. Once you passed, you need to find a vet to work for you, and meet state requirements on cages.





Your best bet is to volunteer at one of those rehabilitation sites and talk to those people.





Just a word of warning- there is a saying at my school (we have the top public natural resource/wildlife school in the US) that you can not be a rehaber unless you have a rich husband making 6 figures. I volunteer at 2 different places- one has a lawyer husband, the other a doctor.


Some people can make it without a rich spouse, but you will pretty much constantly be poor, not even able to make enough for yourself to live on (which is why there are so few legal rehab places)

No comments:

Post a Comment