Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How can I tell my cat that bringing dead wildlife into the house through the cat door is not necessary?

Last night I stepped on a large bird that was layed outside my bedroom door. How he managed to fit it through the cat door is beyond me. I know he wants me to praise him for his good catch but I'd really prefer him to leave them outside.





(We don't want to close the cat door at night because it has been the only solution we've found to our other (older) cat's problem of peeing around the house.)How can I tell my cat that bringing dead wildlife into the house through the cat door is not necessary?
I have exactly the same problem! I must keep my cat flap open at night to allow my three cats to go outside to do their bathroom business.





Out of the three, only one brings his trophies in through the cat door. He has presented me with lizards, frogs, a dead squirrel, a dead rat, half a mouse, and two birds - one of which was still breathing (just barely) when Basil brought it in.


He has brought dozens of those huge moths inside, and the first time I saw one buzzing around the kitchen, I thought it was a small bat. He's brought in just about everything but a snake, and I'll just die if he comes in with one of those one - especially if it's alive!





The last time Basil brought a dead bird in, I saw him coming down the hall with it in his mouth, and I screamed, ';Get out of here with that! Right now!'; Believe it or not, he turned around and trotted back down the hallway and outside with it.





I know he does it to please me and to show off his ';kill';, but it makes me so mad. He has plenty of high-quality cat food to eat, and he is well taken care of.





He has not brought in any more prizes since the bird, so maybe he got the message! Much as I adore my cat, this is one token of his love I could do without!How can I tell my cat that bringing dead wildlife into the house through the cat door is not necessary?
You are going to have to put up with adoration. Sorry.. %26lt;smile%26gt;
You can't teach a cat not to bring home his kill. You might think about putting a small bell on the cat's collar so the small critters can have some warning and maybe get away, maybe minimize the number of kills your cat makes.
It's a gift. means that the cat loves you. really no way to stop it... ours has pretty much stopped since my brother got a dog that she loves to hate (gets along with the other one just fine tough- personality I think)





Your best bet is to just deal with it.
don't let your cat out side and thats it
Unfortunatly there is no real way to tell the cat (and have it understand) that the dead animals are unwanted. My cat used to do that as well, except they were a lot bigger than birds that he would bring home (possums, skunks, rabbits, you name it he tried to hunt it)
I think your only option here is to keep the cats inside, otherwise you will always find little (or in your case, big) presents waiting for you. Really, you should feel flattered if the cat loves you that much to bring you it's kill. Be glad your gifts are of the feathered variety, my Aunt lives near a creek and her cat always brings her water snakes that aren't always completely deceased.





A collar with a bell might help you for a day or two, but cats have ways of getting them off or chewing the bell so it stops ringing, they will find a way to thwart your efforts if they really like to hunt.





Sorry, I really can't offer you too much more advice. I would address your other cats peeing all over the house first(have him fixed if he's not, then try different litter arrangements, maybe he prefers sand or soil since he's only peeing outside, so try that). Then working on keeping them both indoors is probably your only option.





Best of luck to all of you!
Mic is right these are gifts from your cat, as you see he himself did not eat the bird.


It was a present for you left actually at your door even.





So mic had a valid point, If you had an ounce,.................





of appreciation i n your heart you would praise your cat.





And then pick up his catch and begin to eat it in front of him so he knew that you reciprocated his goodwill


and would feel some sense of felinegratificatioin for your sense of gratitude.





So far your a heartless caretaker.


How dare you think you could ';TELL'; your cat to stop giving you gifts.


U should speak his language and pick it up and eat it ! LOL


Be glad its birds and not rats or bigger stinky animals like the guy above said


LEARN TO be a good catowner for heavens sake !
IT IS NECESSARY! YOUR CAT LOOOVES U. That is why he brings you lil surprises! Sit down, and have a lil chat with ur cat. Tell him the house rules, and what your expectations are, and if that doesn't work, put up a sign that says (what should i say Will??).. KO!





';NO DOGS ALLOWED';





? Well, your cat can't read can he?
You have to catch him while they are doing it . Otherwise get a litter box.
by doing that your cat is showing you love.


If you appreciated it as it was intended you would pick it up and eat it so that your cat knows you liked it,s presents
you need to get a cat flap with a transmiter, it works off the cats collar, if she has something in her mouth the transmiter will not work. and the flap will not open, you can get them with two collars, works with ours but not with the beetles ,frogs and slow worms, at least the big stuff,rabbits birds moles


rats, and the odd tom cat that came around. she used to invite him in and they would cuddle up on the setee. we put a stop to that once the collar was on. now he sits outside sulking.
Drown the cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment